Monday 10 March 2014

Mia Bergeron

"Most people don't know that I have done self portraits most of my life. In the past years, I have done one on my birthday every year to mark changes in my self, my thoughts, my techniques, and just generally to journal time in the mirror. It's a little vulnerable to put some of these up on the Internet, I must say. Not many artists show work from when they were young (and not very skilled!). But when I looked through them all, I realized there were a lot of changes, and those things are worth showing, I guess. Being broke for all of those years, a self- portrait was my way of being curious about form and drawing, without wasting anybody else's time. I was not a born draughtsman, as you can see.  I worked very hard, and fought through a lot of my issues with drawing with dozens upon dozens of sketchbooks filled with horrifying sketches.

I didn't paint any self-portraits while I was 23-25, due to my time in Italy studying, and frankly being too enamored with everything around me to care about a mirror. 31 was a strange year. The painting I did for a self-portrait was not in fact this one, but it may as well have been.


The one all the way at the bottom is my most recent portrait, "32". I finished it September 1st, 2012. Thanks for looking! Enjoy!"

(Source  www.miabergeron.com )

No comments:

Post a Comment

Search This Blog